Aboriginal Community Mental Health Clinician
Employment Type: Permanent Full Time
Position Classification: Registered Nurse / Psychologist / Allied Health Professional Level 1/2
Remuneration: $64,184 - $100,914 pa
Hours Per Week: 38
Requisition ID: REQ164799
Closing Date: 24 June 2020
The Illawarra is one of the most beautiful locations south of Sydney, surrounded by pristine beaches and green escarpments. It is the home of the Illawarra Community Mental Health Service, based in Wollongong. Wollongong is a spacious and vibrant regional city one hour away from central Sydney by train. As a member of the Illawarra Community Mental Health Team, you will be providing culturally appropriate treatment, support, advocacy and consultation to Aboriginal people accessing the services of the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District. You will be actively working to ‘Closing the Gap’ through better health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. This exciting opportunity is supported by a culturally safe model of support.
What you'll be doing
The Illawarra Shoalhaven local Health District would like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land we live and work on.
The Aboriginal Mental Health Clinician will provide high quality evidence based clinical services including assessment, care co-ordination, intervention, liaison and clinical review as part of a multidisciplinary team for adults referred to the service with Mental illness or disorder.
These interventions will be based on an appropriate model of practice as specified by the individual's professional background, skills, and experience and will be informed by evidence based treatment.
The role will also support clinicians across the Community Mental Health Service to improve the mental health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and others mental health consumers in the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District.
Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District is committed to equal employment opportunity and embraces diversity and inclusion within its workforce. As such, people from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. This includes but is not limited to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, People with Disability, Women and People from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds.
An eligibility list will be created for future temporary and permanent full-time and part-time positions.
Please note: Employment of a temporary visa holder may only occur if no suitable permanent resident or citizen of Australia has been identified for this position following suitable labour market testing.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and either current authority to practice with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) as Registered Nurse, Occupational Therapist or Psychologist, demonstrated eligibility for membership of a recognised professional association (i.e. Social Work, Welfare Officer or Counsellor) or having completed the Djirruwang Bachelor of Health Science (Mental Health).
- Be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander decent (pursuant to Section 14 (d) of the Anti-discrimination Act).
- Demonstrated experience in mental health assessment, care planning and treatment of persons with a mental illness in a community setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team, including computer literacy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and/or experience in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, including Knowledge of NSW Aboriginal Mental Health and NSW: A Strategic Plan for Mental Health in NSW - 2014, NSW Mental Health Act (2007) and related legislation and policies.
- Current knowledge of the social and emotional wellbeing, mental health, drug and alcohol issues and intergenerational trauma faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals, families, and communities. Have good sound knowledge of the local Aboriginal communities and or willing to learn.
- Current licence to drive in NSW.
No Similar Jobs Found.