- : Puntukurnu Aboriginal Medical Service
- : 19-Jun-2020
- : Newman WA 6753
About the Organisation
The Puntukurnu Aboriginal Medical Service (PAMS) is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service located in the East Pilbara region of Western Australia and provides comprehensive and culturally appropriate primary health care services to the Martu people of Newman and the four remote Aboriginal communities of Jigalong, Parnngurr, Punmu and Kunawarritji.
Our passionate and multidisciplinary team of qualified and experienced health professionals including GP’s, Remote Area Nurses and Aboriginal Health Workers provide holistic and high quality health care to clients throughout the region.
Due to expand its services in July 2020, PAMS will be opening a new clinic in Newman referred to as ‘The Newman Clinic’. Linking residents with a range of healthcare providers, the Newman Clinic will be the centre for primary health care services for Aboriginal people living in Newman and the surrounding areas. This is an exciting time to join a growing organisation and contribute to improving the health and wellbeing of the local Aboriginal community.
About the Opportunity
This role provides culturally safe GP services within a comprehensive primary health care framework to the community of Newman in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. The General Practitioner will report to the Clinical Manager – Newman Clinic and is accountable to the Chief Executive Officer. The successful applicant will be responsible for implementing the relevant objectives of the organisation by undertaking a multidisciplinary and integrated approach to manage illness, promote well-being, maintain health systems, provide education and training and encourage community health action. With substantial supports and collegiate networks available including visiting specialists, this role is integral to ensuring clinical leadership, cultural integrity and high standards of clinical care.
To view the full Position Description and Selection Criteria.
To be considered for this position, you must have:
- Registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency as a General Practitioner
- Possess at least 5 years’ postgraduate medical experience
- If not vocationally registered as a General Practitioner, hold relevant vocational Registration, or hold a Fellowship, FRACGP, FACRRM or be part of a GP training scheme
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of comprehensive primary health care and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services as well as an understanding of the issues affecting the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal people, including social determinants of health.
- Relevant client case load management experience.
- Demonstrated clinical and procedural experience.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with people from a wide range of cultural and social backgrounds.
- A demonstrated capacity to work effectively and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Understanding of family medicine, primary health care and preventative health care practice.
- The ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to work to deadlines.
- A demonstrated knowledge of Medicare billing framework and Practice Incentive Scheme and application in primary health care and a demonstrated willingness to appropriately maximize Medicare billing.
- A demonstrated understanding of applicable accreditation standards including AGPAL accreditation standards and a willingness to provide leadership in continual quality improvement in clinical practice.
- Excellent working knowledge of software packages, including Medical Director 3, MMEX or Communicare.
- Good time management skills with the ability to effectively plan, organise and coordinate own workload.
- Willingness to incorporate Aboriginal values into clinical practice.
Ideally, in addition to the above, the successful candidate would also meet the following criteria:
- The person is of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent and is acknowledged as such by their community.
- Previous experience working in an Aboriginal Primary Health Care setting.
- Previous experience working with Communicare.
- Understanding of and previous experience working within a framework of continuous quality improvement.
The position involves working within a multicultural organisation where the majority of staff, clients and stakeholders identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. Candidates must be able to demonstrate an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Please note: In addition to the above skills and experience, the successful candidate will require an unrestricted WA “C” Class Driver’s Licence, and be required to submit a National Police Clearance (dated within 3 months) and Working With Children Check (where applicable) prior to appointment.
Applicants for this position must be legally entitled to work in Australia and will be required to provide evidence of this entitlement. Acceptable evidence includes an Australian or New Zealand passport, birth certificate, or foreign passport with relevant visa.
About the Benefits
While you will face diverse new challenges in the role, you will also enjoy an attractive remuneration package. You'll also gain access to generous salary packaging options, which will greatly increase your take home pay. In addition, you will have access to a number of fantastic benefits including:
- Provision of accommodation and subsidised utilities
- Relocation Assistance up to $5,000
- Mobile Phone Allowance up to $1,200 per annum
- Vehicle provided for operational purposes and reasonable personal use within the Pilbara region
- 2x paid return flights from Newman to place of origin within Australia per financial year
- 6 weeks’ annual leave + 17.5% leave loading
- Support to further invest in your career through additional training + study leave options
- Employee Assistance Program
This position offers the opportunity to work closely with remote Aboriginal communities and make a drastic impact to the health and well-being outcomes of these communities.
PAMS operates four remote sites, three of which have a team of one nurse and a range of ancillary workers. Although the successful candidates will have a substantive location (Newman) they must be prepared from time to time to work across any one of these sites should they be required.
PAMS operates in some of the most remote parts of Australia and staff are required to be proficient at driving a 4WD vehicle and willing to fly in light aircraft.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Please note there is no closing date for this advertisement. Applications will be assessed as received and interviews scheduled accordingly. PAMS reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement without further notice, therefore we encourage interested candidates to submit their application without delay.
- General Practitioner (GP) - Castle Hill - 70% Bill...
- Posted By: Crane Road Medical Centre
- Posted Date: 2020-07-04
- Location:Castle Hill NSW 2154
- Fast growing ,With new train line in operation (only 50 metres from Castle hill station and bus terminal )
- VR GP | Private Billing | 3 month retainer of $160...
- Posted By: Mitcham GP
- Posted Date: 2020-07-02
- Location:Melbourne VIC 3000
- Mitcham General Practice is a new, purpose built clinic 10 minutes from the CBD. We are a private bi...
- GP for modern, busy clinic in the sunshine Plaza
- Posted By: Medpods Medical Centre Maroochydore
- Posted Date: 2020-07-02
- Location:Maroochydore QLD 4558
- Our busy clinic is located inside the bustling Maroochydore Sunshine Plaza which is the largest shopping centre on the Sunshine Coast.
- VR General Practitioner (GP) | Relocation Assista...
- Posted By: My New Life Health Centre
- Posted Date: 2020-07-01
- Location:Carrara QLD 4211
- Good income opportunity as a full-time permanent General Practitioner in Gold Coast, opportunity to move in the best city in Australia.