190635 - 2020.1 GP Supervisor Professional Development Workshop
An interactive face-to-face workshop designed for Northern Territory General Practice Education (NTGPE) accredited GP supervisors by invitation only; this workshop covers the following topics;
- Supporting International Medical Graduates (IMGs) to achieve fellowship, and
- Teaching procedural skills in a general practice setting.
Relevance to General Practice
There are a high proportion of International Medical Graduates (IMGs) in general practice within Australia. These IMGs have a significantly lower exam success rate than Australian Medical Graduates, especially those IMGs that are not in a fellowship training program. On this basis, it is important that IMGs are supported and nurtured towards high quality practice.
A general practice is the most timely and convenient environment for the performance of minor medical and surgical procedures. There has been a gradual decline in GP and GP registrar use of, and confidence in, performing these ‘hands-on’ skills. The GP supervisor who performs and teaches relevant procedures in the general practice setting is a key driver in GP registrars following suit; therefore, benefiting the patient and the health system, and enhancing the variety and rewards of a career as a GP.
- Identify the obstacles to teaching the increasing numbers of IMGs in General Practice
- Design a remediation plan to assist IMGs through the training program and to achieve examination success
- Identify minor practical skills used in general practice and the barriers in teaching GP registrars to perform these
- Demonstrate the ability to use different methods to teach GP registrars procedural skills
- Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensionsCurriculum Contextual Units
- General practice teaching
Blue 2A, Charles Darwin University, Ellengowan Drive, Casuarina
Flinders NT, Nhulunbuy Campus, Nhulunbuy Clinical Education Training Facility, Gove District Hospital, Matthew Flinders Way
DoubleTree by Hilton Alice Springs, 82 Barrett Drive, Alice Springs