2023 Wound Management Update Coffs Harbour
Key learning outcomes:
On completion participants will be better able to:
- Describe the anatomy & physiology of the integumentary system
- Outline the process of wound healing
- Identify factors which negatively impact on wound repair
- Engage with the HEIDI assessment strategy
- Discuss recent developments in wound hygiene and wound bed preparation
- Review the role and function of wound dressings
- Consider updates in both the aetiologies and clinical practice associated with surgical site dehiscence, skin tears, pressure injury, leg ulcers and diabetic foot injury
- Discuss current practice recommendations for wound infection and biofilm
- Examine advances in oedema management and compression therapy
RN CNC MClinEd BN DipApSc MACN
Gary has been involved in delivering and teaching wound management since 1987. Currently in private practice as The Wound Guy, Gary provides education to medical, nursing, allied-health and product-industry personnel. He also provides clinical support to patients and their clinicians in the aged care, primary care and community sectors. These activities are conducted concurrently with his present role as educator and nurse consultant in wound management at the Mt Wilga Private Hospital (Rehabilitation Centre). He is also a lecturer at Macquarie University with the Australian Lymphoedema Education, Research and Treatment (ALERT) division.
Sign in or create an account to secure your place today.
Please log in to your membership account using the My ACN drop down box on our website.
If you have never enrolled into one of our online courses, you will need to “create a new account” following the prompts.
If you have previously enrolled, you can log on using your previous username and password.
By registering for the short course you are agreeing to the registration Terms and Conditions.
DAY 1 PROGRAM
8:30am Course introduction
8:45am Anatomy & physiology of the integumentary system and the Wound healing pathway
9:30am Reasons for “hard-to-heal” wounds & the impact of Pharmacology on wound healing
10.30am Morning Break
10:50am Patient assessment – using the HEIDI strategy
11:45am Wound dressings: a generic overview & using HEIDI as the product decision framework
1:15pm Antimicrobial dressings – practical considerations and new options
2.00pm Engaging with the wound & wound bed preparation … the wound hygiene paradigm
2:45pm Afternoon Break
3.00pm Wound infection – acute wound infection and biofilms
Biofilm based wound management
3:55pm Key messages review
DAY 2 PROGRAM
8:15am Day 2 Registration / Arrive
8:30am Surgical wound dehiscence and the role of negative pressure wound therapy
9.15am Leg ulcers – venous and arterial aetiologies
10:30am Morning tea
10:50am Oedema and principles for compression therapy
11:45am Pressure injury – causation, assessment, guidelines
1:15pm Impact of diabetes on wound healing and foot ulceration
2:00pm Skin tears – a review of practice & introduction to ISTAP
2.45pm Hyper-granulation tissue – causes and treatment
3:20-3:30pm Evaluations and Close