91179 - Mental Health Skills Training
- : Online
This ALM aims to equip GP’s with the skills to engage in conversation to enable them to assess a mental health condition and provide sufficient information to make an accurate diagnosis, plan to reduce potential risks and provide follow up and evaluation. The workshop also provides the GP with adequate resources to develop their own systems to provide high quality care while maximising the MBS billing items. The topics that will be covered include: a general overview of the mental health system; a range of disorders; the Biopsychsocial model; Mental Status examination; Managing risk; Outcomes and Health Care Planning.
Relevance to General Practice
For many Australians, Mental illness will impact their lives either directly or indirectly. Mental illness is common, with 3% of us experiencing severe or recurrent illness and up to 45% of us experiencing mental illness at some point in our lives.(1)A Recent study in comorbidity suggested the aging population in Australia will increase the health demands on GP’s in the general practice arena. This paper states “… the complexity of care in managing patients with multiple chronic conditions, often with competing demands, is best handled in primary care by general practice”(2). This training has been developed in response to internally generated feedback, from our own practice group, with a view to provide our General Practitioners to develop adequate skills to address patient needs, and therefore provide a consistently high level of care while maximising MBS billings.
(please refer to attached document)
- Diagnose and assess mental illnesses and prepare evidence based GPMHTP.
- Review mental health care plans and plan for relapse prevention.
- Devise mental health specific practice systems that enhance patient safety.
- Use the MBS mental Health Care items numbers appropriately.
- Discuss consumer carer experiences of mental illness and identify local services and resources available to assist in providing Mental Health Care.