95265 - Assessing eye problems in children
- : Online
This free online module includes a peer-reviewed article on common eye conditions in children - how they are diagnosed and treated. Immediate feedback is given as questions are answered and specialist expert guidance is provided.Relevance to General Practice
- Examining children’s eyes can be challenging.
- Children generally do not complain about visual symptoms or difficulties and therefore rely heavily on parents, community and primary health workers in identifying clues such as strabismus or a learning difficulty.
- Awareness of the common childhood eye problems will help guide appropriate referral and expectations of the diagnostic pathway.
- It is vital to recognise conditions that require aggressive management or hospitalisation.
- Amblyopia prevention and treatment remains one of the primary goals when dealing with eye conditions in children.