Emerging leader professional development program
Aim of the program
The aim of the Emerging Leader Program is to support the next generation of doctors - interns to senior registrars/fellows/junior consultants (PGY1-10) to transition effectively into their roles in different health services and other specialty and practice settings.
A key focus of the program is to support them to develop their leadership identity and a strong skill base for enacting leadership effectively in their everyday work, as well as providing a solid foundation for stepping up into leadership positions in the coming years.
Structure of the program
The program delivers 15 hours of leadership education facilitated by our leadership expert Dr Anna Clark.
The program is modular in design and is delivered in a group format over several sessions via both interactive webinars/tutorials and self-paced online learning, including video tutorieals, readings and reflective learning activities. The duration of the program ranges from 4 – 6 weeks.
We would encourage 100% attendance at all module sessions to maximise your learning; however, we realise this may not be possible for all of you due to work/personal commitments. Subsequently, we would accept 75% attendance to receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program. If you know this may be a problem, please advise and we can explore other options for you. Webinars will be recorded, and you can catch up on a missed session if required.
Emerging Leader Program participants can also choose to enrol in a four session individual coaching program with Anna Clark following the program. This one-on-one series of sessions allows participants to continue their work in a highly personalised way, with sessions tailored to support the specific development areas you are working on and challenges you may be facing. This program is offered at a reduced rate for program participants.2023 Program dates
Intake 1 - 2023
- Module 1 & 2: Saturday 6 May 10.00am – 3.45pm
- Live Tutorial: Tuesday 16 May, 6.30 pm - 7.30 pm
- Module 3: Tuesday 30 May, 6.30 pm – 8.30 pm
- Module 4: Tuesday 13 June, 6.30 pm – 8.30 pm
Intake 2 - 2023
- Module 1 and 2: Saturday 14 October, 8.00 am - 2.00 pm
- Live Tutorial: Tuesday 24 October, 6.30 pm - 7.30 pm
- Module 3: Tuesday 31 October, 6.30 pm - 8.30 pm
- Module 4: Tuesday 14 November, 6.30 pm – 8.30 pm
Limited places in each intake!
Who should attend this program
The program is designed for interns to senior registrars/fellows/junior consultants (PGY1-10) who are looking to develop their leadership capabilities for current or future leadership roles. This program does not require you to be in a formal leadership role – but you aspire to develop and embed these skills as you progress.
Content covered in the program
- Who am I as a leader? Finding purpose, values and identity.
- How can I lead in my role currently? What skills do I need to do this?
- Effective leadership skills and practices for collaborative environments, including
- Developing strong self-awareness and self-knowledge
- Understanding others and making space for difference and inclusion
- Communication skills for interpersonal and team environments
- Establishing psychological safety, trust, and rapport in teams
- Leading effective meetings and discussions
- Giving and receiving effective feedback
- Navigating difficult professional conversations and conflict
- Building strong professional relationships and professional networks
- Identifying role models, mentors, and sponsors
- Leading and navigating change, and working effectively in constantly changing environments
- Understanding the importance of self-care and wellbeing and how to lead a sustainable career.