IUD Insertion Training - Brisbane (For General Practitioner)
This clinical attachment in True's Brisbane clinic provides clinicians with supervised clinical training with a True trainer for the insertion of copper and levonorgestrel intrauterine devices (IUDs) to ensure safe and effective practice. This training is by approved application only and requires full payment up-front. Unsuccessful applicants will be refunded in full.
- Online, self-paced theoretical pre-training course
- Supervised clinical attachment with a True trainer.
Who should register?
General practitioners and nurse practitioners
Applicants must have:
- Current AHPRA registration as a general practitioner or nurse practitioner
- Minimum 2 years postgraduate experience
- Adequate medical indemnity to cover IUD insertion procedure
- Extensive experience in contraceptive counselling, women's health, and gynaecology
- Well-developed bimanual pelvic examination skills
- Up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination status in line with current government guidelines
It is recommended that applicants ensure their practice is ready to commence providing IUD insertion services once this new skill is achieved.
True offers an online, self-paced course for healthcare professionals assisting with IUD insertion procedures.
Clinicians are required to be at a high level of training and experience to undertake IUD insertion training. At True, we believe IUD insertion is a procedure at the highest proficiency level of women’s health clinical practice.
This training consists of a 4 hour online, self-paced, theory component covering the following topics:
- Different IUDs available in Australia
- Medical eligibility criteria (MEC) for IUDs
- Counselling patients on effectiveness, mode of action, advantages, disadvantages, and risks of IUDs
- Appropriate investigations and timing for insertion
- Insertion and removal techniques for different IUDs
The clinical attachment consists of 2 sessions, with each session approximately 4 hours in duration. The clinical session will commence with simulated training using a pelvic model, then 1 observed insertion, followed by at least 6 insertions under direct supervision. Training is recorded in a clinical portfolio.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be awarded a Statement of Completion for IUD insertion training.
After completion of the course, it is recommended you perform at least 10 insertions each year to maintain your competence in this skill.
It is expected you will exercise due clinical judgement to ensure all procedures are performed within your scope of practice.
Fill out contact details and pre-pay
Complete application questions and upload prerequisite documents to support application within 72 hours of applying
- Copy of current AHPRA registration
- Copy of current medical indemnity certificate
- Copies of relevant qualifications/certificates i.e. FPAA, DRANZCOG, RANZCOG, DFFPUK
Application is subject to approval
Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified
Successful applicants will be provided with access to the online course and offered training dates
Unsuccessful applicants will be refunded in full
When applying to undertake IUD insertion training:
- Payment must be made within 1 business day via credit card
- You may select invoice as the payment method, but this must be paid via credit card by clicking the "Pay online" link on the invoice
- Registration will be cancelled if payment is not received within 1 business day from application
- Payment is required to secure an opportunity to apply
Notification of cancelled applications will be emailed to the participant. True is not responsible for travel or other costs resulting from cancelling unpaid invoices.