Malaria Update: The Pre-Travel Consultation
- : Online
This course will provide you with the knowledge and confidence to pre-screen and advice patients in regards to Malaria prevention before traveling to endemic areas. The course covers: Prevalence of malaria, the malaria life cycle, non-drug advice to protect against malaria and detailed information on anti-malaria chemoprophylaxis available in Australia.
This course has been designed to take your travel medicine practice to the next level and update your knowledge on the current best practice pre-screening of patients in need of Malaria advice.
In this course you will learn:
- The prevalence of Malaria worldwide and how it affects Australian travelers
- Your role and responsibilities when providing patients with pre-travel advice and education about Malaria
- How Malaria is spread and contracted
- The Malaria cycle, including signs & symptoms
- Specific Malaria endemic risk areas
- High risk patient populations
- Different types of Malaria and how this impacts on pre-travel management and advice
- How to confidently convey to patients what Malaria is and how to prevent it
- Malaria Chemoprophylaxis: options available
- How to select the most suitable chemoprophylaxis to suit your patient’s needs: benefits, side effects and contraindications
- The structure we use during our pre-travel consultation to select the most suitable Malaria chemoprophylaxis
- Non-drug measures to protect against Malaria and
- Additional tools and evidence-based resources to inform your practice
This course is provided online and includes: educational videos, downloadable resources and student support via phone or email.
If you have any questions please call us on (03) 8609 8035 or send us a message via our contact us page.
As with all our courses, this first lesson is free.
It will give you an introduction to the course so you can experience the tone and format of our presentations.