Module SS1 - Reusable Medical Devices (RMDs) - IPC Risk Management for Nurses and Midwives
This course has been developed to provide healthcare workers (HCWs) responsible for the cleaning, packaging and sterilisation of reusable medical devices (hereafter referred to as RMDs), with an understanding of the recommended reprocessing procedures from an Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Risk Management perspective.
Suitable for all healthcare workers (HCWs) responsible for the cleaning, packaging and sterilisation of RMDs, and the management of associated equipment.
The content of this course incorporates the appropriate requirements of AS/NZS 4187 Amendment 2 published in May 2019.
This module will provide you with an understanding of IPC principles and risks related to cleaning, packaging, disinfection and/or sterilisation of RMDs, including:
- regulatory and other requirements
- education, learning resources and experience
- design and environment considerations
- appropriate precautions, including Standard Precautions, personal protective equipment (PPE), effective hand hygiene, staff health, and management of Blood and Body Fluid Exposure Incidents (BBFEIs), and
- documentation requirements, including sterile stock traceability and incident management