Palliative Care In Aged Care Homes - Palliative Care Australia
This interactive module is based on the Guidelines for a Palliative Approach in Residential Aged Care (the Guidelines).It comprises of an Education Resource, five Case Studies and an Assessment (multiple choice quiz).
The Educational Resource contains evidence-based information about a palliative approach in aged care homes. This evidence is drawn from the National Health and Medical Research Council approved Guidelines. It addresses issues such as:
- the use of evidence-based guidelines in aged care homes
- defining palliative care and when it is appropriate
- advance care planning and the role of the GP
- symptom assessment and management
- end-of-life care including family/carer bereavement and GP self-care.
The Case Studies activity consists of five cases where, over a number of consultations, the participating GP can assess and manage various problems.
The Assessment is a set of 26 questions based on the companion Education Resource