Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine
- : South Wharf, Melbourne, VIC
Skin cancer is the most common dermatological condition seen in Australian general practice – and it is not overly complex to manage if you have the right skill set. This certificate course has been specifically designed for time-poor general practitioners wishing to acquire the knowledge required to safely and confidently diagnose and treat commonly encountered skin lesions.
The course is delivered both face-to-face and online. The two-day face-to-face course combines interactive lectures, case discussions and surgical practical sessions on pork parts. The online course offers a flexible learning experience with video lectures and online case discussions with the presenters.
This course is the first part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine.
The course provides training in skin cancer medicine and teaches various techniques allowing GPs to treat more complex cases in the primary care setting. The program includes practical surgery sessions. Our team of surgical assistants will guide and support you as you practise the various surgical techniques.
The theory and practical sessions cover:
- Skin anatomy and histology
- Diagnosis with dermoscopy
- Benign and malignant skin lesions
- Melanoma management
- Topical treatment options
- Punch and shave biopsies
- Elliptical excisions and suturing
- Workflow and Medicare billing
Course participants will:
- Observe experts performing Skin Cancer Medicine techniques on a large screen with close-up camera
- Participate in discussion of patient cases, evaluate and make decisions
- Receive a comprehensive course folder and research/readings in the field
- Receive ongoing support post-course through webinars and case review
- Optional clinical attachments are also available at dedicated skin cancer clinics
This certificate course:
- Is recognised by Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP)
- Is accredited by The Skin Cancer Institute (SCI) and may be used as part of an application for Certified Skin Cancer Doctor credentials.
- Has been collaboratively designed with, and is annually reviewed by, Professor David Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor at Macquarie University.