Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery
- : South Bank, Brisbane, QLD
Surgery is still considered the most effective and definitive skin cancer treatment. The Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery is ideal for acquiring and honing various surgical techniques. In a highly practical program, you will learn how to perform large elliptical excisions and different types of flaps and grafts which will allow you to manage more complex skin cancer cases in your practice.
This course is the first part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery.
The course provides advanced training in skin cancer surgery and teaches various techniques allowing GPs to treat more complex cases in the primary care setting. The program includes practical surgery sessions. Our team of surgical assistants will guide and support you as you practise the various surgical techniques.
The theory and practical sessions cover:
- Surgical anatomy and skin lines
- Local anaesthetic blocks
- Large elliptical excisions
- Advanced suturing techniques
- Rotation flaps
- Advancement flaps
- Full-thickness grafts
- Dog ear repairs
- Wound care and various dressings
Course participants will:
- Observe experts performing skin cancer surgery techniques on a large screen with close-up camera
- Perform surgical techniques in a simulated environment and receive feedback
- Participate in online discussion of patient cases, evaluate and make decisions
- Receive a comprehensive course folder and research/readings in the field
- Receive ongoing support post-course through webinars and case review
- Optional clinical attachments are also available at dedicated skin cancer clinics
This certificate course:
- Is recognised by Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP).
- Is accredited by the Skin Cancer Institute (SCI) and may be used as part of an application for Certified Skin Cancer Doctor credentials.
- Has been collaboratively designed with, and is annually reviewed by, Professor David Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor at Macquarie University.
- Qualifies for a Skin Cancer Surgery Clinical Attachment in France at the University of Lyon.
- Qualifies for a Skin Cancer Surgery Clinical Attachment in Austria at the University of Vienna.