Safe Medication Administration 2 – Acute Care
- : Online
This online education refresher program is suitable for Registered Nurses, and Enrolled Nurses who are already Medication Endorsed. It is ideal for annual refresher training and for nurses who require their CPD (continuing professional development).
This course is NOT appropriate for Enrolled Nurses who are not Medication Endorsed, nor for Disability Care Workers, PCAs, or Aged Care Attendants. We advise these workers to seek advice from their employers as which competencies are required and where they are to be obtained.
This second medication administration program is designed to build on the first LearnPRN Drug Administration Program. This program is designed to assist the nurse in understanding the different drug forms and the implications this has on daily clinical practice. This program helps to answer the old-age question of “Can I crush this drug?”. Considerations related to drugs and older adults are also discussed. As with the first drug administration program, a section on drug calculations is included. This acute care program includes a section on IV calculations, if this is not required or outside your scope of practice then please use Safe Medication Administration Program 2 – Residential Care.Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the nurses' role in quality use of medicines.
- Describe the four phases of pharmacokinetics.
- Identify factors that can affect the absorption of medications.
- Identify oral medications that should not be cut or crushed and briefly explain the rationale.
- Outline the physiological factors that can alter drug pharmacokinetics in the older person.
- Calculate accurate drug dosages using appropriate formulae.
This fun interactive online nurse education program is suitable for medication endorsed enrolled nurses and registered nurses who require their CPD (continuing professional development).