Introduction to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
This session aims to give a brief overview of female genital mutilation (FGM).
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Describe the different ways in which women and girls may be affected by FGM
- Identify the four types of FGM according to the World Health Organization’s classification
- Describe the legal status of FGM procedures in the UK and abroad
- Explain how to refer a girl or woman to FGM services, including when mandatory reporting applies
- Explain what to do if you suspect a child may be at risk of FGM