Malnutrition and Dehydration
Learning Activity Description
As a health care worker providing care or services to older people living in residential or home care you are required to practice in accordance with the requirements of the Aged Care Quality Standards.
This learning resource will also have relevance in all of other health care settings providing care or services to older people.
Aged Care Learning Solutions educational material is endorsed by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation.
- Describe peoples’ rights in relation to nutrition and hydration
- List the risk factors for malnutrition and associated illnesses and injuries
- Describe how to provide care and services in response to risk factors
- Explain the nutritional needs for the older person
- Assess a persons day-to-day nutrition and assistance requirements to support any funding requirements
- Identify independence, enjoyment and safety issues relating to nutrition for older people
- Provide respectful nutritional care and service for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse older people
- List the risk factors for dehydration and associated illnesses and injuries
- List the signs of dehydration
- Explain how to reduce the risk for dehydration